Basic questions

1. what is the difference between normal ssh and teleport ssh
  2. lets say i dont have a domain… can i still use teleport
  3. what is a teleport cluster… i have one proxy + one node - does this mean a cluster?

what is the difference between normal ssh and teleport ssh

Teleport SSH is the Teleport implementation of the SSH protocol. Anything else would likely be referring to OpenSSH. OpenSSH is included by default in most Linux distributions.

lets say i dont have a domain… can i still use teleport

Sure. But, you may need to disable SSL validation when joining Teleport nodes to your Teleport Cluster and when using the tsh client. You can do so by adding the --insecure flag to both the teleport start and tsh commands.

what is a teleport cluster… i have one proxy + one node - does this mean a cluster?

A cluster is a group of nodes that work together and can be considered a single system. Cluster nodes can create connections to each other, often over a private network. Cluster nodes often require TLS authentication to ensure that communication between nodes remains secure and comes from a trusted source.

See more definitions here.

how is the teleport implementation of ssh protocol different from the openssh one.
what was there to reinvent the wheel?

hi @houami

By utilizing tsh ssh you are gaining access to your nodes with all that Teleport offers. Teleport is a Unified Access Plane that allows engineers to access any resource anywhere. This product utilizes short-lived certificates rather than a static identity file which is more secure. Additionally, Teleport has the ability to manage access through RBAC, currently only in the enterprise version but will be available in OSS for the 6.0 release slated beta for Feb 1st and production release March 1st.

Teleport also has the ability to record ssh sessions, which can be played back in the GUI or on the terminal. There is an ability for multiple users to share a session. Also, by going through Teleport there is the ability to securely bypass the need for VPN to access your resources. There are many more features which you can find here